Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Another One Down

Damn. There are not many good bands left. Word just came out that E Town Concrete will play its last show in May. These guys will go down as one of my all time favorite bands. For 10 years, they paid their dues, "matter of fact, they overpaid," accumulating a strong following in the Northeast (especially Jersey), but never quite getting their big break. They persevered on as they watched their peers, friends, and other less talented pieces of shit get record deals and strike it rich. Yea, they had a rap element to their music, which didn't set right with the hardcore kids and was too heavy for the rap kids. I blame Fred Durst for ruining rap-metal, and essentially E-Town's chance of making it big. I remember when I got their debut CD, "Time 2 $hine," sophomore year of college. I loved it. It was my anthem, my strength that got me through some tough classes and kept me from beating on the Chinese. I think I've seen E Town in concert 7 times, from crazy shows at the Hanover House, to Toad's Place, to the Webster Theatre, to the Worcester Palladium, to fantasy camp at Fat Cat's. And I'm still kicking myself for not going to their show in Bozeman in 2003. I had the opportunity to hang out with the band a couple of times, which I've always treasured. It's something special when you can say "Thanks" to a band you truly admire. We'll miss ya, E Town. It's too bad you didn't make it. But you inspired a lot of bands and a lot of people, and your influence will live on.

I punch the walls when I think about ETC breaking up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home